Holiday Work Pay time and a half? Virginia Virginia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Work Pay time and a half? Virginia Virginia

I know it is not mandatory to pay employees for holiday time not worked but is it the law that if your employee works on a holiday that you have to pay them time and a half for their hours worked that day? I am a part-time hourly worker. I am classified as part time but have been working full time hours and some people say they got time and a half for working on July 4th but I received no such thing ans when I asked my boss he ignored me.

My question is, do I have the right to fight this and get paid time and a half for that shift I worked on the 4th?
    yes it is the law
    0.00%
    No it is not required according to VA Labor Law
    100.00%

Only two states require that if you work on a holiday that time must be at time and a half. Virginia is neither of those states. (And in at least one of the two states that do require it, it only applies to certain employees and certain holidays).

The law is not going to require that your employer pay you time and a half for working on a holiday unless those days push you over 40 hours in the week.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

An employer if they wish may pay employees time & a half for working on a holiday but it is not required by law in your state/most all states. (unless it takes you over 40 hrs. in the workweek - then overtime pay would be required)
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X