Your work is covered under the provisions of the Utah Employment Security Act for
unemployment insurance puposes, unless specifically exempted by the act.

Unemployment insurance provides payment to qualified workers who are unemployed and looking for work. It is not welfare, social security or a disability payment. Benefits are based upon your previous earnings - not on economic need. The funds to pay unemployment benefits are paid by your employer. No deductions are made from your wages.

No benefits will be paid for weeks prior to the week in which you file your claim. You should, therefore, file immediately after becoming unemployed or when your work hours are reduced to less than full time.

If you are separated from employment due to a work-related illness or injury for which you have received Worker’s Compensation, your rights to unemployment benefits may be preserved for up to THREE YEARS from the date of your injury. In order to use wages earned prior to such an injury or illness, you must file a claim for unemployment benefits within
90 DAYS of your doctor’s release to full time work.

At the time you are separated from your job, you should request information as to the reasons for your separation. It is not necessary for you to have a separation notice to file a claim. Both you and your employer will be requested to provide
statements explaining the reason for your separation.

The amount of your unemployment benefits will be determined from your wages. “Wages” are all payments for personal
services performed such as salaries, commissions, bonuses, tips, and the cash value of goods and services received for
services performed. Tips received but not reported to your employer generally cannot be used to determine your
unemployment benefits.

If you are classified as “self-employed” (independent contractor), you may want to discuss this with your employer and have your status reviewed by the Department of Workforce Services. Work performed in “self-employment” cannot be used for unemployment benefits. You are “self-employed” if your work is performed without direction and control and you are in your own established business. This generally means you are properly licensed in business, perform similar services for others, maintain proper accounting records and business reports, pay self-employment taxes, and provide for insurance.

Your State Employment Center can help you find local, statewide, and national job openings. Professional placement people will provide assistance. No fee is charged for this service.

Utah law requires that each employee’s wages be reported each quarter with the regular quarterly contribution (tax) report. All wage and separation information and correspondence must include your unemployment insurance registration number. You must also maintain and make available records of wages and separation information on all workers for at least four (4) calendar years.

When an unemployment claim is filed by a former employee, the Department of Workforce Services will send Form 606 “Notice of Claim Filed.” This notice will provide an opportunity for you to report details of the reason for the claimant’s separation and, in some cases, to request relief of potential charges. The Form 606 will also inform you of any wages from your firm being used on the claim and your firm’s potential benefit costs.

If you have classified or contemplate classifying any of your workers as “self-employed” (independent contractors), notify the Department so a proper determination of status can be made. By doing this you may avoid unpaid contributions (tax)
liabilities, interest and penalties. Additional information is available in the “Employer Handbook” which will be furnished to you upon request.
You can gain access to Utah’s largest source of job seekers by listing your openings with the nearest State Employment Center. Professional selection and referral techniques will be utilized to match worker qualifications with your job
requirements. Proficiency aptitude and testing are available as part of the selection process. The Department will refer only the number of qualified applicants you desire to interview. No fee is charged for this service.

In accordance with Section 35A-4-406(1)(b) of the Utah Employment Security Act, this notice must be permanently posted by each employer at suitable points (on bulletin boards, near time clocks, etc.) in each work place and establishment.