This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination of employee for smoking Utah

Is there a Utah or Federal law against firing an employee for smoking?

Smokers are not a protected class, either federally or in your state, so the answer would be yes.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      Smokers are not a protected class, either federally or in your state, so the answer would be yes.
      So you are saying there is a law against termating an employee for smoking in Utah?

Comment

Originally posted by melanie.comadena View Post
        So you are saying there is a law against termating an employee for smoking in Utah?
        Boy, did I goof THAT up; I had in my mind that you were asking if it were legal. Sorry I led you astray by my momentary brain freeze.

Since there is no law making it illegal, it would be legal for fire someone for smoking in your state.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'll make it clear.

It is LEGAL to terminate someone for smoking in Utah.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Wow Patty...I was reading that and thought..."huh?" Glad it was cleared up.
            Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
              Wow Patty...I was reading that and thought..."huh?" Glad it was cleared up.
              As my new guy says, it was a blonde moment.

Comment

Many thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                X