This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working off the clock Utah

Ok, I have only been working for this company for 4-5 months, but they expect for me to work off the clock for hours at a time. They will send me on break, but they will expect that I will stay and work off the clock for them to keep our labor percentage from getting too high. They have also made their managers believe that the only way for them to keep that percentage under the allowable amount is to clock out and not get paid for their work. I've seen managers not clock in once for the 8 hour shift, because it is their job the keep the percentage down, and if it gets too high they get yelled at and given less hours... Is this legal? I don't think it is and I would like to do something about it, but I'm only 18 and I don;t know much about this stuff...

As an (I'm assuming) nonexempt employee, you must be paid for all time worked and the law requires the employer to keep accurate records of time worked. Exempt employees are a little different.

Are you paid on an hourly basis?

What type of business is this and what exactly do you do?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am paid hourly and I work for 2 different (deleteds) as a car hop. Another thing I'm not quite sure about is that I was working 60 hours a week just split up between the two stores, but since it's the same company, same owners, and same supervisors, shouldn't they need to pay overtime?
      Last edited by cbg; 11-19-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Yes, that is required by the FLSA.
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...29CFR791.2.htm

You can file a claim for unpaid wages, including unpaid overtime, with the state Dept of Labor.
        http://www.laborcommission.utah.gov/...claimunit.html
        Last edited by Pattymd; 11-19-2009, 11:55 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X