This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required to Work 4 x 10's Utah

I've been working a normal 9 to 5 job for 6 years now for a company that is based in California (but I work at a facility in Utah). They are floating the idea of changing everyone to a 4x10 hour shift schedule, instead of a 5 day work week. Obviously some people will prefer this shift, but I do not. Is it legal for them to require me to switch to a 4x10 schedule?

If that is not legal and I am fired for refusing to change to a 4x10 schedule (although obviously they can require me to work a different 5x8 schedule), would that be wrongful termination under Utah labor law (since we are a right to work state or whatever)?

Thanks.

Originally posted by bts View Post
    I've been working a normal 9 to 5 job for 6 years now for a company that is based in California (but I work at a facility in Utah). They are floating the idea of changing everyone to a 4x10 hour shift schedule, instead of a 5 day work week. Obviously some people will prefer this shift, but I do not. Is it legal for them to require me to switch to a 4x10 schedule?

If that is not legal and I am fired for refusing to change to a 4x10 schedule (although obviously they can require me to work a different 5x8 schedule), would that be wrongful termination under Utah labor law (since we are a right to work state or whatever)?

Thanks.
    First off, "right to work" just means you can't be required to join a union or pay union dues in order to get a job. There is also "at will employment."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will

Yes, it is legal for them to change your shift to 4 x 10 unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

Yes, you can be legally fired for not working the required shift - it would not be a wrongful termination. You most likely would not get unemployment ins. if you were fired since you turned down available work.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I always confuse at will and right to work in my head, since it's never really presented a problem for me.

They haven't required that we work 4x10's yet, so we'll see. Thanks again for letting me know.....I don't completely trust our HR folks here.

Comment

Don't trust them to do what?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Sorry, I don't trust their answers to some of my questions, including this one. They don't usually seem to know what's going on or what the rules really are (usually hedging and saying they'll get back to me and then they don't). Also, there's a fairly obvious conflict here, so I wasn't sure they would really tell me what the answer to my question actually was.

Thanks though.

Comment

Working...
          X