This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer requires employee to pay for internet service Utah Utah

I work for a world wide company and live in the state of Utah. The employer has closed the office and moved me to a home office. They have been paying for the internet service in my home office for the last two years. To savie money they are requiring that I now pay for the internet. Is this legal? Can a employer shift a valid business expense to the employee?

It is legal. Utah is NOT one of the very few states where the employer is required to reimburse business-related expenses. You may be able to deduct such expenses on your 1040; see a tax preparer or check the this IRS publication.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Employer requires employee to pay for internet service Utah

Thanks for the information. How can we get the state of Utah to change the laws to protect the employee?

Comment

You'll need to lobby your elected representatives for the change.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Just talking out loud here. Many times we have seen posters complain about beign fred due to internet behavior (personal emails mostly) on work computers. The arguement is always those were private. In OPs case that may not apply. He is paying for Internet connection. So who does the info belong to? The employer or the OP? Thsi may not be wise decision by employer. If OP pays internet connection and owns the PC or Lap top he (OP) then owns all material on PC/Laptop.
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
          X