This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacation Hours Utah

My husband is going to give his two weeks notice in a few days and is wondering if his company has to pay all of his vacation hours that he has earned over time on his last paycheck.

Were confused if an employer even has to pay out on earned vacation hours or if it matters if they've been fired or quit.

Thanks

In Utah, vacation pay is only due at termination, regardless of whether it is a voluntary or involuntary term, if the company policy so states.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Utah requires payment of vacation and sick days earned only if it is required by a contract between employer & employee. Private employers must pay all unpaid wages within 24 hrs. for involuntary separation & on the next regular payday for resignations.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Hi, my company's handbook says that they will not pay any unused benefit time on termination unless the state specifies. I've been trying to look up if in Utah this is required. Here is from the handbook:

BENEFIT DAYS
        The Company provides Benefit Days (paid time off) for all qualifying employees. Once earned, Benefit Days may be taken any time during the calendar year. When using Benefit Days to take vacation, make arrangements in advance with your department manager. Be advised, due to business needs, some requests for time off may be denied.
        For certain job classifications, Benefit Days may be carried over from one year to the next for anticipated medical or family needs. Benefit days will not be counted towards overtime. If employment is terminated, for any reason, the employee will not be paid for any unused Benefit Days unless State law dictates otherwise. Benefit Days will not be paid if taken during an employee’s last two weeks of employment.
        Benefit Days may also be used in cases of employee illness. Should you call in sick, please submit the request to your designated management representative the next day that you report to your facility.
        I have 64 hours of paid vacation time available I haven't used any yet...

Comment

Same answer. Handbook says no, so no it is, because Utah law does not require it.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks, I just wasn't sure based on the previous answer. Sounded like they were referring to already used paid time but wasn't paid out.

Comment

Working...
            X