This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insubordinate inTexas???

I work for a large oil service company with many diffrent divisions. Recently my department was appointed a new manager/supervisor with whom I have been having many problems with. Two weeks after he was assigned this new position he and I had what was suppose to be an off the record all feelings aside meeting between the two of us to try and figure out what our diffrences were. Once the meeting was over and everything was said we had still come to no conclusion as to why we could not get along.

Months have passed and we still have many diffrences, weeks will go by without us saying a single word to each other. Recently we had a dispute about me working from home on a project that needed to be done. After being told no by him I felt his decission was not right and went to the manager over him and asked for permission to work on the project from home. This manager gave me the permission I was looking for.

After this my immediate supervisor requested for me to meet him in the confrence room for a private meeting. I felt that due to our lack of communication in previous meetings, that I should request a Human Resources representitive be present for any more meetings with him. When I requested the presence of a HR Rep in our meeting he became extremely upset with me and in the middle of our office in front of all told me that I was very insubordinate and difficult to work with then turned around and stormed off. I feel that he is falsely accusing me of actions I have never displayed. For me to be insubordinate for simply requesting a HR Rep makes me wonder.

What action should I take now, so that managers above me are aware that I was never trying to be insubordinate, I was simply trying to express my rights as an employee and prevent miscomunnication between my supervisor and I from happening again?

You went over his head to get his decision overruled, and you don't think you were insubordinate?

You refused to meet with him without an HR rep present and you don't think you were insubordinate?

Tell me, what do you think insubordinate means?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Disobedience and resistance to authority...I am aware of the meaning of insubordinate and I continue to feel that requesting an HR Rep's presence during a private meeting is in no way an act of insubordination.

I was not refusing to attend a meeting I simply wanted to prevent any miscommunication from occuring during this private meeting.

As far as going over him to request permission from another manager I don't see this as being insubordinate either. I followed the chain of command and went to the next manager up when I felt he was not addressing the request appropriately. He shows preferential treatment towards others in our department and I was simply making the same request that was granted to a fellow employee the day before. The only diffrence is my request was denied for no given reason.

Going over his head was not the reason he accused me of being insubordinate which brings up more to this story and an entirely diffrent complaint. I simply want to know how is requesting the presence of a HR rep during a private meeting being insubordinate. On what grounds does he have to accuse me of this when I never refused the meeting I just wanted a mediator there?

Comment

And it really doesn't make any difference anyway. If they want to call it insubordinate, they may.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X