X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psycological Harassment

Texas
    I had to take two weeks of medical leave due to anxiety caused by retaliatory treatment by my supervisor, an administrator at a public school. I had voiced a concern that was valid (due to changes made) because an incident happened to my children who attend the same public school. The poor treatment I was receiving brought on many symptoms, physical and emotional, and that led to my medical leave. I've been back a week but I have been asked to switch my position temporarily until a staff member who has light duty can perform her usual. I agreed right away and I am doing wonderfully. I need to confront my supervisor, with her assistant (I don't want to be alone) present but I am afraid of her. She is more than intimidating. I feel physically ill when I have to even walk near her office. But she needs to know the details of how she treated me and made me feel. Would it be okay to put it writing ? I feel this is the only way I would be able to communicate to her the damage she caused me. Then if do that, should I give a copy to our district's administration office ? There have been so many complaints from staff and parents, she' already in the doghouse.This appears to be why she is so paranoid.I have a timeline to follow so please give me any advice you can.Thanks !!

Why do you HAVE to do this at all, and why is there a timeline to follow?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Because our district policy states that an employee who voices a concern has the right to not be retaliated against (similar to whistleblower law) and the timeline is also per district policy-10 days from the first day I realized I was wronged.The district's grievance policy begins at Level One unless the only party to remedy the complaint would be the supervisor of the supervisor being complained of.Then it would start at level two.That's where I thought my Grievance would begin until I was contacted by the Asst Superintendent of the district to start at level one. I even quoted our policy but he still said to start at Level one.I turned in my grievance two on a Friday but wasn't contacted til the following Wednesday which was the 2nd day of my medical leave.He told me that I needed to start my Grievance at Level One. I told the asst superintendent when he called that I was in no condition to make any important decisions at that time. He had responded to an email where I had requested to be transferred to another position. I feel my supervisor should know that the way she treated me was unfair and that she should know the details of how her actions could hurt someone deeply.I'm always giving people the benefit of the doubt and that's what got me in this position to begin with.What if she didn't deliberately set out to make me feel uncomfortable ? By me addressing it, then she might realize how her actions are perceived by those around her. Am I being naive again? I wish someone would tell me to just drop it and just let things play out by themselves. But I only want to do the right thing and stand up for myself. I want peace in my life again. And closure on this whole matter would do that. But would addressing the matter make my life worse at my job or better ?

Comment

I don't have any way of knowing whether addressing the matter will help or make the matter worse. I also can't advise you on your company's grievance procedure.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I definitely feel for anyone who has do deal with a horrible boss, as I'm doing so myself. I work for a woman who works 15 hour days, 7 days a week and has no other life other than her bar. She even has her sister raising her 17 year old daughter so that she may continue to work her crazy schedule. She is also the type to make life at work absolutely miserable for anyone who takes time off for any reason. I've had to take time off for personal illnesses, my son's illnesses, and, recently, a car accident in which my car was totaled. She has cut my hours and instead of allowing me to go back to work at my regular schedule, she said she'd call if she needed me. I love the job, just can't stand the way she runs her business. I'd look for another job, but I don't really want to start looking for a job right before the holidays. Also, she has hired her 19 year old neice to work as a bartender and she doesn't have to do any of the regular bar prep duties the other bartender and I do such as washing dishes and cutting up fruit for garnishes. Am I just being grumpy or do I have a legitimate complaint? I have worked there three months longer than her neice, but seniority means nothing to her when it comes to family. Now she is looking at hiring her 17 year old daughter as a bartender if she can get her TABC certification. For the record, I am almost 20 years older than the neice she hired.

Comment

And, peedee, how does this help the original poster, whose post is 6 weeks old.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I truly know where you're coming from peedee..But unfortunately your predicament sounds like you're working for a family business and if they want to hire family to help then they have the perogative to do so. Family will always come first to most people but for young women that age the novelty of the job may come quicker than you think. Life is too short to be unhappy.Just be careful that you are never put in a situation where the word of a family member at the workplace has to be put against yours.No matter how in the right you are, they will usually have the upper hand. My situation is in a kind of limbo. Physically and mentally I'm much better. I was asked by my supervisor if I would mind staying at the position I've been placed at til mid Jan.I jumped at the chance.I'm excelling at this new position with praise coming from everyone except my boss, of course.And surprise, surprise no more negative write ups.Today was my first session w/a psychologist and I've been to a psychiatrist twice. I hope with this help I will learn to gain the courage and confidence to finally address my concerns w/my original supervisor. I've learned w/my own research that my personality, passive-submissive(avoiding confrontation at all costs and always wanting to please others) is a trait found in many victims, young and not so young, bullied by other people. And I'm keeping a daily journal of work details that pertain to my "case" and the more I notice and research I'm finding that my "case" may actually turn out to be a racial discrimination case. I have a lengthy timeline to file if I have to. Try to keep a journal of your concerns and observations w/the date and time if you think your rights are being violated. I'm not a professional but it sounds to me like you really don't have a valid complaint unless there are other details that do violate some kind of labor law. I wish you luck!

Comment

Working...
              X