Non-exempt employee travel time Texas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-exempt employee travel time Texas

I work from my home for a hospital system that is located 600 miles away. I work directly for the hospital as an hourly employee, and I am NOT a contracted employee. They are requiring me to travel to their corporate office (again, 600 miles away) to exchange my computer for a new one (due to it containing patient information). The last time I travelled there, I only asked if they would compensate me for mileage, which they did not. It never occured to me that I should be paid for my hours spent travelling, which is generally 9 hours each way. Can someone please verify that this is covered by Fair Labor Standards? I want to have as much information as I can before I contact my employer, and before I require them to pay me for my last trip there.

It may, or it may not, be required under the FLSA. WHEN are they asking you to travel?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

They want me to pick it up by April 20th. I have to pick it up during normal working hours(m-f 8-5), so even if I travelled there on a Sunday, I would have to pick it up Monday and travel back on a Tuesday. Or travel there on a Thursday, pick it up Friday and travel back Saturday. I didn't think it mattered what days I was traveling though since technically it's for business purposes. Am I wrong in thinking that? Just trying to clarify before I talk to them.

Comment

Here's the federal rules on travel time for your review.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics...her-travel.htm
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X