This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company control on personal property Texas Texas

Can my spouse's company tell me I can not ride in my own vechile if she is traveling to another town and I choose to go?

Apparently they have...

Your spouse's employer may dictate to your spouse the terms of her travel while she is employed. While they may not be able to tell you you can't ride in your own vehicle, they may tell her that she is no longer employed if she violates their policy or instructions concerning who travels with her during the course of her employment.

Your spouse's employer incurs considerable liability for traveling employees, and they may want to minimize that liability, as well as reduce the distractions of having a non-employee spouse along for the ride. Not all employers forbid riders, but many do.

Comment

Originally posted by tx9730 View Post
      Can my spouse's company tell me I can not ride in my own vechile if she is traveling to another town and I choose to go?
      Yes, they can. It's the employer's decision who may travel with the employee, there could be
      consequences for your spouse if you go.
      Last edited by Betty3; 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yes. It would be interesting to know why however. I expect they gave your wife a reason.

Comment

Company control on personal property Texas Texas

Well this is what I do know. The company will only pay for medical if in accident for her. What about my car if it's totaled?
          If she has riders with her what prevents them from suing us and our insurance company?
          Why are other employee's husbands allowed to take them down the night before to buck the system. And collect the travel pay.
          In the 5 years we have been doing this nothing has been said until now.
          We do not expect travel pay nor them pay for our room or anything else.
          Something in last few months not kosher as her male boss forces her to ride with him at times. This I am sure is in violation of any company policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
            Yes. It would be interesting to know why however. I expect they gave your wife a reason.
            Not really just no and if i go she has to ride with someone else. This is first time in 5 years. But other employee husbands drove them down the night before.
            Her boss also forces her at times to ride with him to things. I am sure this is wrong in any company seeing he is a male.

Comment

There are no laws forcing companies to allow or disallow bosses from requiring juniors to ride to and from events with them. This would be a purely internal decision by the company.

Nothing you have posted indicates your wife's company is doing anything illegal.

Comment

So are they also responsible per say if my wife does have an accident and my car is totaled to replace it not just pay the medical bills.

Comment

This is not my area of expertise, but it's my understanding that if your wife has an accident while under the control of her employer, be it while driving, onsite at work, or at a work-mandated event, then Worker's Compensation would apply for any injury sustained.

As far as the vehicle goes, I can't answer that. I assume she has insurance, and most companies do require that anyone driving personal vehicles for company business provide proof of insurance. I don't know what the company's liability there would be; perhaps another responder does.

Comment

Well this is what I do know. The company will only pay for medical if in accident for her. If your wife is injured during the performance of her job, then it's a worker's compensation claim. Not so for any non-employees she has riding with her - their injuries would be covered by their personal insurance.

What about my car if it's totaled? The company is not liable for damages to your car. That's why you have car insurance.

If she has riders with her what prevents them from suing us and our insurance company? Who is liable depends upon who as "at fault" in the accident.

Why are other employee's husbands allowed to take them down the night before to buck the system. And collect the travel pay.

No idea.

In the 5 years we have been doing this nothing has been said until now.

An employer is free to change their policies any time they wish to. Apparently they've re-thought this practice.

Something in last few months not kosher as her male boss forces her to ride with him at times. This I am sure is in violation of any company policy.

If two or more employees are going to the same place at the same time, it usually only makes sense for them to ride together. I've lost count of how many times I've accompanied or driven co-workers, including my boss(es), on business trips. There is nothing overtly "not Kosher" about the boss requiring your wife to ride along with him.

Comment

Her boss also forces her at times to ride with him to things. I am sure this is wrong in any company seeing he is a male.
                      Riding in a car is hardly an intimate act. I'm not sure why any company would not permit a male and female employee travelling in a vehicle together. Sitting in the same car is no different than sitting in a meeting room or office together.
                      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Wow, this is interesting. I hadn't even considered this being an issue. I travel for work all the time and my spouse goes along. My company even provides me with business travel insurance. I understand my spouse is not covered under the short term policy but I never thought about it being an issue should we be in an accident, etc. for the company.

Comment

Working...
                        X