This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWC Commission for Unemployment? Texas

I was denied my UI benefits, filed an appeal and lost and now I want to file the second appeal for the commission to look it all over.

I just feel the woman who did the appeal hearing just didn't have a good attitude and was a complete "b" word thru a lot of it.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with the TWC commission and if they are more easier to deal with and more fair than an overworked, tired and cranky appeal hearing officer?

TIA

Isn't the appeal hearing through the TWC as well?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The first appeal is done thru the Appeal Tribunal. The second one is done thru the Commission Appeals.

Comment

I thought those were both TWC processes.

Maybe Texas709 will come by soon and clarify for us.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post

Maybe Texas709 will come by soon and clarify for us.
          You are correct Patty.
          Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

They are both TWC processes, but are carried out separately, and by different appellate bodies. According to what I have read on the subject, TWC added a second level of appeal (Commission Appeals) to the process a couple of years ago. Prior, the appeal after the Appeals Tribunal was to Distirict Court, and those can take years. TWC created the Commission Appeal level to speed the process up. I haven't been through one, so don't know a lot of the details.

In another life, when I worked for the Revenue Service, it struck me as odd that appeals to IRS determinations were taken up by the Tax Court, which is staffed with IRS employees. A surprising number of Tax Court cases overturn IRS determinations, however. I think it's a little too soon to draw many conclusions about the TWC Commission Appeals process.

Mickey, sometimes, all of us are overworked, tired, cranky, and *****y. That really shouldn't cloud the judgment used to make determinations. Maybe your situation doesn't qualify for unemployment compensation. A lot of Texas claims don't.

Comment

Censorship Alert!

Originally posted by Texas709 View Post
              and *****y.
              Hey, that's not what I wrote!!

Comment

It's auto-censorship, not any moderator. There are certain combinations of letters which the software automatically replaces with astericks, even if it may be perfectly inoccuous in the word in question. Sorry about that; not under my control.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I thought that there was a forum rule that everything is always your fault.
                  "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                  Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Yes, but...

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                    It's auto-censorship, not any moderator. There are certain combinations of letters which the software automatically replaces with astericks, even if it may be perfectly inoccuous in the word in question. Sorry about that; not under my control.
                    Just fooling around, cbg, and I know you don't make the rules, but my old authority questioning side shouts out that auto-censorship is the most insidious kind, kind of like a faceless bureaucracy, where there is no one responsible. It also makes those of us who breed dogs wonder if we really did get into dogs just so we could use the word "*****" with impunity.

Sigh--I guess when we live in the day of the chronically offended, we shouldn't wonder.

Comment

Sigh--I guess when we live in the day of the chronically offended, we shouldn't wonder.
                      And the chronically snarky. Not this OP, but you know what I mean.

Always good to see you, 709.

Comment

And the chronically snarky. Not this OP, but you know what I mean.

Always good to see you, 709.
                        I know, I know--

Thank you, Dr. Patty. It's good to be seen. I'm back at home base for a couple of weeks, since we have no travel money. It's too hot to go out, anyway!

Comment

They are both TWC processes, but are carried out separately, and by different appellate bodies. According to what I have read on the subject, TWC added a second level of appeal (Commission Appeals) to the process a couple of years ago. Prior, the appeal after the Appeals Tribunal was to Distirict Court, and those can take years. TWC created the Commission Appeal level to speed the process up. I haven't been through one, so don't know a lot of the details.

In another life, when I worked for the Revenue Service, it struck me as odd that appeals to IRS determinations were taken up by the Tax Court, which is staffed with IRS employees. A surprising number of Tax Court cases overturn IRS determinations, however. I think it's a little too soon to draw many conclusions about the TWC Commission Appeals process.

Mickey, sometimes, all of us are overworked, tired, cranky, and *****y. That really shouldn't cloud the judgment used to make determinations. Maybe your situation doesn't qualify for unemployment compensation. A lot of Texas claims don't.
                          Do you think it would be worth my time to go ahead and do the second appeal to the commission then?

Comment

If you want to share some details about why you were fired, what reasoning you used in your appeal, and why the appeal was denied, we might be able to form an opinion.

Comment

Well, in a nutshell, I was fired for making mistakes with my work - but my argument is it was because I didn't get proper training for my position, nor did I ever get an written performance reviews - when I was supposed to as per the company handbook.

If they felt I could do adequate work - where is the proof if I never get evaluated?

I tried to bring that point up during the hearing, but the hearing officer got a bit pissy and said it had nothing to do with the case and said it was "stricken" (sp?) from the testimony!

Also, my mistakes were not repeated and the fact that I never had any written company policy on those mistakes - so a few of them were not "known" to me until I was written up for them.

There's a bit more to it, but I really tried to make my arguments about it all but the hearing officer just acted like she was deaf to what I had to say, and paid more attention to my ex-boss, who fumbled thru some of it and didn't even have the correct story on one of the incidents!

I have someone looking at my stuff right now and he thinks I may have a chance with the second appeal due to issues with "procedural errors".

We'll see...

Comment

Working...
                              X