This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRED FOR FALSE ALLEGATIONS Texas

I have worked for a small police department outside of Dallas for approximately the last six years. I have no disciplinary actions or complaints in my personnel file. Recently, a new mayor was elected who does not like the chief of police because of his assocation with a certain council member. Soon after the mayor's election, the chief of police was placed on admin leave without pay and placed under investigation. About two weeks later, I was placed on the city council's agenda for termination. The mayor then brought me into his office and threatened to file a class "B" felony (I know there's no such thing) against me (although he couldn't say for what) if I didn't cooperate with the investigation against the chief. Immediately, I stated that I would cooperate with whatever law enforcement agency was handling the supposed IAD investigation, but that I wasn't going to say anything else without attorney representation. The mayor then identified himself as a law enforcement officer (which he is not) and the magistrate for the city and demanded that I cooperate. When I restated that I would cooperate withe the law enforcement agency completing the IAD, the mayor immediately terminated me. The IAD investigation was completed by an off duty police officer on his private time. The only place I am mentioned in the IAD investigation is as the operator who ran the mayor's criminal history, which I readily admitted to doing. The TLETs security agreement demands that I make certain that no individual viewing or possibly handling TLETS sensitive documents must not have a disqualifying criminal history. To date, the city has not provided any documentation to support their allegations of misuse of city services, ethics violation, violation of police policy and procedures (the city council has never approved any, therefore although they have some from 1999 they are not in effect) and release of confidential information. I'm aware that Texas is an "at will" state, however what are my rights in this situation, if any? Thank you for any help provided.

I can only suggest you seek legal advice from an employment law attorney in your area who has public sector experience. You may have appeals and recourse that are very specific to your profession and city/county government. Good luck.

Comment

Well, I don't have to tell you that something shady is going on in small town Texas. (and it's not the trees either!!) I couldn't agree more with Beth that you do need to find yourself a lawyer. (and fast!) Good luck!

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses to my questions. I have an attorney through the Texas Municipal Police Association, however, he just doesn't seem to be attacking the fact that I have been falsely accused, with no documentation to support the allegations. I will speak to someone with the TMPA about possibly reassigning my case to an employment lawyer.

Comment

I would definitely seek other attorney options, especially if the one assigned to you is not helping your case. It's your job and reputation on the line.

Comment

Working...
          X