This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I decline to relocate, do I get severance and unemployment? Texas

I work in TX as a network administrator. It's been decided that all the servers I administer are being relocated to our company's office in CA.

There hasn't been any official talk about it yet, but I'm 99% sure they are going to ask me to move to CA. I can also say with 99% certainty, that once the servers are gone from TX, there will be no job left for me to do in TX, so I will be laid off if I don't move to CA.

Given the cost of living difference between TX & CA, there's no way I'll relocate unless they offer me a rock star relocation package, and a big salary increase...which I am quite sure they won't.

So my question is - if I decline their offer to relocate to CA, which will result in me being laid off...will I be eligible to collect unemployment?

Also, will they have to pay me severance? Our company has an official policy in their HR manual, that says severance will be paid to employees who are laid off through no fault of their own, at a rate of one weeks pay per year of service.

Thanks!

Turning down a relocation of that magnitude could very well result in UI benefits being granted. There's just no way for us to say.

Severance pay is not required by law, and company policies very seldom rise to the level of contractual obligations. The LLT crystal ball is out for recalibration, so we would have no way of even guessing whether you would get severance pay under these conditions or not.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X