This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have the right to Quit? and still collect unemployment? Texas

I am looking to quit my job. There has been a laundry list of things to get me to this point but I am unclear as to weather I would be able to collect unemployment. I also know that the employer has been very successful getting out of this in the past. It has become a very hostel working environment, my paychecks have bounced (or I wait to deposit to make sure they don't) and my health insurance was dropped without notice or being told. (we found out when a coworker needed to order more rx). I don't want to have to fight the TWC on this, I want it to be clear cut, if it is not then I will try to stick it out until I can find other work.

Your thought please. Thank you.

With rare exceptions, if you quit you don't get unemployment. You can ask your state UI commission but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The term, hostile work environment has a very specific meaning under the law and nothing in your post supports that definition.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If You quit your job for a good well-documented work-related or medical reason. TWC may rule good cause if the work situation would cause a person who truly wants to keep the job to leave it.

* Examples of possible good cause are unsafe working conditions or a significant change in hiring agreement, or not receiving payment for your work.
      * Examples of medical reasons are quitting on your doctor's advice, or quitting to care for a minor child, or quitting to care for a terminally ill spouse if there is no alternative care provider.

# You quit to protect yourself from family violence or stalking, evidenced by an active or recently issued protective order, a police record documenting family violence or stalking directed against you, or medical documentation of family violence against you.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
        With rare exceptions, if you quit you don't get unemployment.
        I wouldn't say it's rare. I process claims for unemployment benefits for the Texas Workforce Commission and we pay QUIT claims quite frequently. As long as the claimant can show "good cause" for quitting then they are fine. Good cause can be anything from not getting paid, change in hiring agreement, harrassement, etc...

Comment

Working...
        X