This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about Salary

I work as a Deputy/Corrections Officer in a small county. I work a 48 hour work week at a salaried 1500 per month. I get paid once a month. I recieve a time sheet stating time worked in that month as well as vacation, sick, and comp time accrued. The time sheet is always the same for each month. They say I work only 171.5 hours each month and only get .5 hours of comp time each month. Even when I work over the 48 hours a week, I never recieve the proper comp time over my regular hours. Im confused as how these people calculate time. And unfortunately none of my co workers can figure it out either. If they are keeping a record of my time worked, why is it always short, and why do I never get the right amount of comp time?

You'll need to speak with your payroll person or union representative (if you have one). Police officers are not exempt from the overtime requirement of the FLSA, although you don't have to be paid overtime (or be offered comp time--your choice) unless you work over 171 hours in a 28-day period. But, you clearly do.

If you can't get satisfaction from the employer, you can contact the Texas Workforce Commission for further action you can take.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Well if you are working 48 hours a week minimum, and you work 4 weeks a month, that is 192 hours ... which is 21 hours more than they are putting on your time sheet.

I say either talk with someone about this at the texas workforce commision, and if nothing gets done about this, then either quit, or start working only 171.5 hours a month.

Comment

I recommend strongly against only working 171.5 hours a month. To not work when required can be seen as a termination offense.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Called TWC who automatically directed me to a different agency, then got referred again to wagehour.dol.gov. Called them and now am waiting for a call back. Easy for you to say to either start working only 171.5 hours or quit. I unfortunately need my job, have a house and car to pay for, and a wife who needs medical insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            you don't have to be paid overtime (or be offered comp time--your choice) unless you work over 171 hours in a 28-day period.
            I don't see this as coincidence. Patty says 171 hours is the max without offering comp time. OP reports getting 171.5 plus or maybe including .5 hours comp time.

I don't think going to the DOL was the first thing you should have done. You first need to find out, straight from the source, why your hours on your paycheck are so much less than what you worked.

You can still ask about that and, if the answer is unsatisfactory, you can give that information to the DOL auditor handling your complaint.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The problem is, everytime I ask, no one can give me a answer. Or they avoid the question. Not one single person can give me a straight answer. They all tell me that the county auditor always messes up our time. For instance, if I miss a day of work, it automatically gets deducted from any holiday time I have. If I take a sick day, it usually gets taken out of holiday time instead of sick time. Comp time is usually never correct. They dont give overtime. And comp time cannot be used until you have been employed for over a year. Have to make an appointment to see the county auditor, and that takes a miracle. Everyone says since Im salary, thats the way it goes..

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoe_Lance View Post
                all tell me that the county auditor always messes up our time. For instance, if I miss a day of work, it automatically gets deducted from any holiday time I have. If I take a sick day, it usually gets taken out of holiday time instead of sick time.
                Ohhhhh.

This is not willful misconduct on the part of an employer. It is sheer incompetence.

Write to the County Commissioners.
                Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Hmmm. County Commisioner, Even worse. You have no idea. Seems everybody who works in the jail with me gets paid exactly the same. No matter what shift or hours worked. 171.5

Comment

I don't know what else you want us to tell you, then.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Oh, I bet some investigative reporter would just love to dig into a story concerning government incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                        Oh, I bet some investigative reporter would just love to dig into a story concerning government incompetence.
                        Keep 'em away from here, then, ScottB.

Comment

Working...
                        X