This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• similar issue in Ohio

My coworkers and I have been experiencing a similar situation. We are hourly employees in an adult education program ("ABLE") and are required to fulfill a certain number of professional development obligations per year, or we can no longer work for our employer. These PDs are only scheduled on certain days, so if they fall on a day when we are scheduled to work, we lose that day's wages. Some of the PDs are also located great distances away, for example, in Columbus, OH. We work in Cleveland, and so are required to drive to Columbus at our own expense, and also lose a day's wages. We are not reimbursed for mileage. This seems utterly absurd to me.

Thanks, Kit

It may or may not be absurd. It is legal in all but two states, and Ohio is neither of these states.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thanks for the answer

Yes, it's absurd in light of the fact that many of us work less than ten hours per week. And when you learn that another employee made an OPTIONAL trip to Columbus (to take a student to a conference) and WAS reimbursed for mileage, it creates a lot of resentment and anger amongst the rest of us.

Comment

Do you have a question? Or are you just venting?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

just venting

Sorry, I'll stop now. Thanks for the response, Kit

Comment

If you do have any further questions, kit, by all means bring them along. We'll be glad to answer them as best we can. We're just not really set up for vents.

Comment

Working...
            X