This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wages not received

I live in Memphis, TN area and work a small business owner. I worked 5.5 hours on the end of the first week and 3.7 hours the beginning of the next week. I was left a voice mail not to come in that morning. Alright fine but my rate of pay was $9.00 per hour. When I went to pick-up my check he was there and when I openned up my check. It was for min wage $7.25 per hour. I mention it to him and claim it was a bookkeeper error. He told the girl to take the difference in pay and give to the bookkeeper to correct. When I went to pick-up my last check the girl told me it was mail. When I explain that we knew I was picking up my check. When I received it in the mail not only did he not corrected it, but the 3.7 hours were paid at min hour wage. What do I do? I don't want to cash the check thinking if I do that he will claim by doing that I accepted as correct.

Cashing the check doesn't mean that you agree with the amount.

Problem you might have, though, is all the wage and hour LAW requires is that you received minimum wage. However, you can contact the state Dept. of Labor and see if they will take a claim for the difference. They WILL take a claim for the hours not paid at all.

When you ask the employer about this, what do they say? And when was your last day worked?
    Last edited by Pattymd; 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You also could in theory file a small claims court action for the difference. I do not know enough about TN law to know if that would work.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

wages not received

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        Cashing the check doesn't mean that you agree with the amount.

Problem you might have, though, is all the wage and hour LAW requires is that you received minimum wage. However, you can contact the state Dept. of Labor and see if they will take a claim for the difference. They WILL take a claim for the hours not paid at all.

When you ask the employer about this, what do they say? And when was your last day worked?
        March 22,2010 was last day worked. When I told him about the error in pay he just said it was a bookkeeping error and told the girl to get the infomation. That bookkeeper would corrected the following week. Like I said the following week when I went in the girl said it was mail to me. So he knew what he was doing and from other people it turns out he is a serial offender on labor laws. He's been getting away it for sometime. It seems like no one has made a labor complaint as far as know.

Comment

Then my prior advice applies.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X