This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time between shifts question. Tennessee

My employer requires me to work until 11:30pm and then return to work at 8am the following day.

Are there any laws or rules about minimum time between shifts?

This only allows 8.5 hours between our shifts and seems wrong. The labor laws in Tn seem to do very little to help the emoloyees.

Thank you for your time- Chad

There are no federal rules in this area affecting general employees. There probably are rules for certain employees such as airline pilots and long haul truckers. I have no idea what rules (if any) TN has.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

There is no law in any state that requires a minimum number of hours between shifts for general employment.

There are certain industry specific exceptions but I'd have to know what industry you are in to know if any of them apply.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I work for maintenance in the HVAC/Electrical field.

Comment

I am unaware of any requirement for that industry.

In most if not all circumstances, the exceptions are in industries where there is a public safety factor; ex. airline pilots, truck drivers, in some states nurses.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by chadley22 View Post
            My employer requires me to work until 11:30pm and then return to work at 8am the following day.

Are there any laws or rules about minimum time between shifts?

This only allows 8.5 hours between our shifts and seems wrong. The labor laws in Tn seem to do very little to help the emoloyees.

Thank you for your time- Chad
            Going home at 11:30 at night and on work again at 8:00 in the morning is really tough task, and obviously tougher to do rather than merely imagining how tough it would be! But, unfortunately, I too don't know anything about HVAC/Electrical field work shifts. Please try in other threads, someone out there might give you a suggesstion!
            Last edited by cbg; 03-06-2008, 06:32 AM.
            Don't let student loan control your life ... Get a free no-obligation credit card consolidation quote.

Comment

There's no point in reposting in other forums. All the responses to this question you are going to find by doing a "search" are going to be the same. You're basically an electrician or similar, right? This is not one of the job types with an exception. Sorry.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Since the rules of this forum request that posters put their questions in only one thread, and since all the responders read all the employment law forums, I'm going to request that you not advise posters to "try other threads".

Comment

Working...
                X