This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 minute breaks Tennessee

I know that in TN it is not required that an employer give you breaks but if they do give you 2 15 minute breaks aren't they supposed to be counted as hours worked? My employer does not pay us for our 15 minute breaks.. What can I do to get this corrected?

Under Federal law, breaks under 20 minutes must be paid breaks. You are free to report the employer to the DOL for the violation.

Do not be surprised if the employer no longer offers breaks after that.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yes they must pay you for 15 minute breaks. http://www.dol.gov/esa/fact-sheets-index.htm Scroll down to #22. I'd try to work this out with the employer first as it may be oversight or ignorance. If they are unwilling to correct the problem, then you can file a claim with the DOL.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Tn. employees (non-exempt) must have a 30-min. unpaid rest break or meal period if scheduled to work six hrs. consecutively except in workplace environments that by their nature of business provide ample opportunity to rest or take an appropriate break. Breaks aren't to be scheduled during or before the first hr. of work activity. (Applies to private employers with 5 or more employees.)

I assume you are a non-exempt employee? (Exempt employees get no add'l. pay over their regular weekly salary no matter how many hrs. they work & rest/meal breaks are not required.)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X