This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abused Nurse in Tennessee

I work in a salaried position 40 hrs a week with the title of Nursing Superviser. I had a different superviser when I started. The Director of my department calls me when I am out sick (which I have only been out two days a year) and yells at me for being out. Told me on one occasion that I had to work with a temperature of 102. If he were to be questioned, he denies saying anything. He agreed to my vacation on Feb 8th, now tells me that he can cancel it if the company needs me. One new hire refused to come in the second day due to seeing him kick a chair across the room. He had a complaint against him last week due to a patient hearing him being verbally abusive to the nurses and nothing is ever done. (He is personal friends with the CEO). He told me yesterday that I am to be on call 24hrs a day and every weekend I have to be able to be reached. I asked about what to do when I was out of town, he replied that I must notify him first. He stated that he will not pay me to be on call that it is a requirement to work here to be on call at all times. And the list goes on and on,,,,,. What do I need to do? The nurses that work directly under him are so used to the abuse that they say "It's just _ _ _ _". I do not feel that my off time should be monitored by my employer. I was also told that anyone here that could not be reached when off could lose their bonus check (one that all departments get).

He sounds like a peach.

You need to get your resume together.

I would leave that guy like a bad habit.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

There is a huge nursing shortage throughout the US. You should be able to find a much better job somewhere else.

Comment

I agree - leaving is probably your best solution.

What a jerk - him, not you.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I agree with the others. But, to address the legal issues in your post.

He stated that he will not pay me to be on call that it is a requirement to work here to be on call at all times
          May or may not be legal, depending on the cirumstances.

I was also told that anyone here that could not be reached when off could lose their bonus check (one that all departments get).
          Probably legal. Depends on the terms of the bonus plan.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You mean we should have addressed the legal questions...on a labor law forum?

Comment

Originally posted by martinigirl View Post
              You mean we should have addressed the legal questions...on a labor law forum?

Silly us.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X