X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooper Riley
    started a topic DOES EMPLOYER HAVE TO PAY MILEAGE? Tennessee

DOES EMPLOYER HAVE TO PAY MILEAGE? Tennessee

I work in Tennessee for a large company. They require us, as salesmen, at least twice weekly to drive around and put up signs, basically free advertising, for an 8 hour period. They also are refusing to pay us mileage, which sounds ridiculous to me. I could look it up, but I figured someone would have knowledge about this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• dmitche6
    replied
    Sorry, noticed date after posting..pulled from google.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Dmitche06, I'm sure it would have helped had the original question not been over 4 years ago AND that suggestion not have been given 4 years ago. Please don't post to long dead threads.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• dmitche6
    replied
    Similar problem

I did some research on this issue because it is happening to me right now. I found that the employer does not have to pay milage, however you can deduct this from your taxes. I did however find that if you are engaging in work other than your specified daily task, you have to be paid time for your travel. Look up the Port to Portal Act of 1947. This act in conjunction with the definition of Compensatory Wage defined by The Department of Labor clearly states that a person required to do work outside of their normal funciton must be compensated for that work..IE Training. I am going through this right now so I am learning as well...hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by jennmarie06 View Post
    i'm having a similar problem.. i just started this job like 2 months ago and at the begining they stated that we do get mileage rembursments... they didn't go into much detail but i found that others who "floated" like i do have in the past recieved mileage for the daily trips to work so i filed one with no problem for one week of training and two weeks of regular work... well yesterday i turned in my second form for three weeks worth of mileage and the HR department sent me an e-mail stating that i'm only to send in forms for training only.... but they already paid me for two weeks of non training???? and i found out that everyone hired befor me has turned in mileage forms for just regular travel and not had any problem and theirs was not training... i've felt well i guess descriminated against anyway because as soon as i told them that i found out i was pregnant they started sending me the farthest they could.... but now they arn't even going to pay me mileage for it... is that even legal?
    Great.

Then start your own thread and we will be glad to help.

Leave a comment:

• jennmarie06
    replied
    i'm having a similar problem.. i just started this job like 2 months ago and at the begining they stated that we do get mileage rembursments... they didn't go into much detail but i found that others who "floated" like i do have in the past recieved mileage for the daily trips to work so i filed one with no problem for one week of training and two weeks of regular work... well yesterday i turned in my second form for three weeks worth of mileage and the HR department sent me an e-mail stating that i'm only to send in forms for training only.... but they already paid me for two weeks of non training???? and i found out that everyone hired befor me has turned in mileage forms for just regular travel and not had any problem and theirs was not training... i've felt well i guess descriminated against anyway because as soon as i told them that i found out i was pregnant they started sending me the farthest they could.... but now they arn't even going to pay me mileage for it... is that even legal?

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    No, they do not have to pay you mileage. They do not have to pay you fuel. They do not have to pay you ANYTHING.

As an exempt employee, you have no legal expectation of receiving a single penny over and above your regular salary.

You may be able to claim some of these expenses on your income tax.

Leave a comment:

• Cooper Riley
    replied
    One more question...

Is they require me to do it, as a salaried employee and don't have to pay mileage, do they have to pay/reimburse for fuel?

Leave a comment:

• Cooper Riley
    replied
    in addition...

This is not something that had always been done. They recently "had a meeting" and decided we should do this. It's not part of my original contract nor have I agreed to do so, but they are saying it is mandatory.

Leave a comment:

• Cooper Riley
    replied
    What?

So you are telling me they can require me to spend upwards of $100 wk on fuel and never reimburse me for it? How can I be required to spend money when I am a salaried employee?

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    The only state where an employer is required by law to pay mileage is California, sorry.

If they want you to spend your time driving around putting up signs, that's their privilege.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X