This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhode Island

Can my employer make me leave early when I am scheduled for a certain number of hours? I am a part time employee. Twice now I was made to leave early because work was "slow", once when scheduled for an 8 hour shift (I was made to leave after 5 1/2 hours) and once when scheduled for a 4 hour shift. (I was made to leave after 3 hours). They say my hours are not "guaranteed" but I was hired as a part time employee, not as a per diem employee, and was never told my hours were not guaranteed.

This is legal (and common) under federal law. It would be legal for a so called full time employee.

Your state is not my state, so I will let someone else address RI laws (if any) on this.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

R I -

Wages for Failure to Furnish Shift Work

An employer in any industry who requests or permits any employee to report for duty at the beginning of a work shift and three (3) hours

work are not furnished on that shift, the employer must pay the employee for three (3) hours work at the employee’s regular rate of pay.

In the event that an employee reports for work at the beginning of a work shift and the employer offers no work to perform the employer

must still pay the employee for three (3) hours at the employee’s regular rate of pay.

An employer must schedule at least three (3) hours of work; however, if an employee voluntarily reports late or voluntarily leaves before

completing three (3) hours of work, the employer may pay the employee for actual hours of work, provided time records indicate the

reason for not working a minimum of three (3) hours. (General Law 28-12-3.2)
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X