This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical leave in Co with less than 50 emps. Rhode Island

I have an employee at a RI company with less than 50 employees that has been out sick for about a month. The return to work date is unclear. How long do I need to hold the job open?
    Thanks,
    George in MA

Originally posted by George in MA View Post
    I have an employee at a RI company with less than 50 employees that has been out sick for about a month. The return to work date is unclear. How long do I need to hold the job open?
    Thanks,
    George in MA
    You don't. Since the employee doesn't qualify for FMLA, their job isn't protected.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

I looked to see if RI had laws more stringent than FMLA and it really does not. It does allow 13 weeks of leave, but the company still needs to have at least 50 employees. Either way, your company does not have to protect the job for even one day. Keeping it available for a month is great, but at some point, you need to move on.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
      X