This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 yr old looking for help - PA

I'm 17 i'm working at a home run business taking care of horses. My boss is makin me come in on saturday 12-8pm, 10-1pm and 4-8pm on sunday, and everyday therefore from 4-8pm until my last day on saturday. I think if I quit tonight they will hold my pay which i know is illegal. I'm wondering if I can quit tonight and not come in? My grades are slipping in school and I'm falling asleep and am having lots of trouble keeping up. I've put in my 2 weeks already, but I think she might be makin me work because im quitting because she is a very mean boss. The night i put in my 2 weeks she was swearing so bad with every word she could use. Verbal abuse maybe?? it was directed toward me...anyway i would like to know if theres anything goin on that shouldn't be? Tom - PA
    Thanks!

You can quit any time you want; didn't they teach you in American History class that slavery was abolished? Quite some time ago, too. However, she doesn't have to pay you for any part of your notice that you did not work. She ONLY owes you for the time you ACTUALLY worked. If she doesn't do so, you can complain to the PA DLI. She has until the next regular payday to release your final check.

It's not particularly professional to swear at the employees but it doesn't violate any labor laws.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

-

I didnt know if I could just up and quit even though my 2 weeks are in. Also one of my friends told me that a school student can't work for more than 4 hours a day during the week? I doubt its true but would like to know.
      Last edited by TomCei11; 04-28-2006, 11:42 AM.

Comment

No, even if you gave two weeks notice you can still change your mind and quit sooner. Just be certain you TELL her that; you don't want to just not show up and have her tell prospective employers that you abandoned your job.

In your state, a minor who is under 16 is limited to 4 hours a day and 18 hours a week while school is in session; a minor between 16-18 is limited, again when school is in session, to 28 hours a week (which is not the same thing, the multiplication tables notwithstanding). When school is not in session, the minor under 16 can work 8 hours a day/40 hours a week; the minor between 16-18 can work 8 hours a day/44 days a week. Minors, but not adult employees, are entitled to a 30 minute break after 5 hours of work.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thanks

I had just called my boss and told her i'm not workin there anymore and she said shes gonna hold my paycheck so i'm just gonna call the labor department and put in a complaint. Thanks a lot for the help and the info!!

Comment

Just so you know, there isn't a violation of law until the regularly scheduled payday for the pay period which includes your last day of work has come and gone. A threat isn't a violation yet.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X