• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moxie1977
    started a topic Pennsylvania break time rules

Pennsylvania break time rules

hi
    i know u must have a 30 minute(paid or unpaid lunch). does Pennsylvania have a state law for rest periods? ie. i work a 10 hour shift what type of rest periods am i entitled to?

• cbg
    replied
    Company policy is not law. However, it is true that if an employer requires breaks, the employee must take them whether the law requires them or not.

Danielle is correct that in PA, employees who are under the age of 18 have to receive a 30 minute unpaid break, but she left out the part that it's only if the employee works 5 hours or more.

She is also a little confused about paid breaks vs. unpaid breaks. Federal law says that IF breaks are offered, breaks of under 20 minutes must be paid. But she is wrong that an employer is prohibited from paying for a meal break. They may if they choose to; the law is never going to make it illegal for an employer to pay an employee. They are not required to pay for a meal break, but it's not illegal to do so.

Leave a comment:

• daniellepieper
    replied
    It also depends on the company that you work for. The company that I work for: the employee must take two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break. That is a policy of the company. I have worked for companies, where you would get a break if the time permitted it. Have you checked your employee policy and procedures handbook?
    Although, if you are under 18, the story will change. You will then by law, have to receive a 30 break.
    If your company does provide breaks, they must pay your for those breaks and if they provide a lunch break, they are not permitted to pay you during that time.
    I have worked in management and logically, giving your employee breaks is the right thing to do but there is really nothing that you can do if it is not stated in the policy and procedures handbook. In that case, you would have to find a job that did allow breaks.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    PA law does not require that you receive any breaks at all. This includes meal breaks; you are mistaken if you believe that a 30 minute meal break is required by law.

As far as either Federal or state law is concerned, you are not entitled to any breaks at all in a ten hour shift.

That doesn't mean I don't think your employer should offer breaks; I do. But there is NO Federal law and NO PA law requiring that you receive either meal or rest breaks, no matter how many hours you work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X