This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Labor Laws

This is a two part question. I work for a limited circulation newspaper as a accounts receivable assistant. I was hired on as a salaried employee but I do not believe that I am. I do not supervise and do not make any major decisions. Am I a salaried or hourly employee? I spoke to someone at the PA labor board and they told me that the fair pay act law does not pertain to me. Also, I resigned from this position and have given my notice. I was handed a letter to sign stating that I would not file for unemploment against this employer. Is this legal to do?
    Last edited by jmd54; 03-20-2006, 04:21 PM.

"This is a two part question. I work for a limited circulation newspaper as a accounts receivable assistant. I was hired on as a salaried employee but I do not believe that I am. I do not supervise and do not make any major decisions. Am I a salaried or hourly employee? I spoke to someone at the PA labor board and they told me that the fair pay act law does not pertain to me."

I am assuming that you believe you are not exempt? In other words, you believe you are entitled to overtime?

That determination is a legal one that can only be made by a court or the PADOL.

You have not posted enough facts about you job duties for anyone here to make an educated guess about your status.

"Also, I resigned from this position and have given my notice. I was handed a letter to sign stating that I would not file for unemploment against this employer. Is this legal to do?"

They can ask you to sign it but you do not have to. Did they offer you anything in exchange for not filing an unemployment claim? Now might be a good time to negotiate a severane package.

Regards.

Comment

labor question for anybody in pa

I have a question for anybody that may be able to help....

my brother is working for a company that when they took over they promoted him to an assistant manager for produce, they gave him a salary of 350 a week and he had to work 6 days and 48 hours a week....

recently he went in to get his schedule and saw that his hours were down to 32 hours and that he wasnt in produce... when he approched the owners they told him that he was needed in grocery and that all was ok...

but when he got paid he was not given his sallary and his pay was cut down to 6.45 hr.

is this legal and what can he do about it???

thank you
      concerned brother.

Comment

Originally posted by azwildcatsfan View Post
        I have a question for anybody that may be able to help....

my brother is working for a company that when they took over they promoted him to an assistant manager for produce, they gave him a salary of 350 a week and he had to work 6 days and 48 hours a week....

recently he went in to get his schedule and saw that his hours were down to 32 hours and that he wasnt in produce... when he approched the owners they told him that he was needed in grocery and that all was ok...

but when he got paid he was not given his sallary and his pay was cut down to 6.45 hr.

is this legal and what can he do about it???

thank you
        concerned brother.
        This would have been much better if it was posted as a new thread, rather than tacking on to one that is really old and a slightly different problem.

But...

The $350 a week does not meet federal standards for an exempt employee, so all hours worked need to be paid and any hours over 40 need to be paid at time and a half.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
        X