No announcement yet.

Days worked in a row - PA

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days worked in a row - PA

Today my employer approached me to work this weekend. Normally I do not have an issue with this, but this will be my 3rd weekend in a row without a single day off. I informed my employer I would be unable to meet their request and their response was they addressed this with HR and I will be written up for being insubordinate.

My position is typically Monday to Friday 9-5. I am salary non-exempt so I do not get any compensation for working the weekends which does not bother because I know my work helps the company as a whole. My employer does not have anything posted regarding weekend coverage and no policies have ever been written.

Can they require me to work and have written disciplinary action taken? I have been with this company for 6 years with outstanding service but after this I feel I need to look for a new job.

Yes, they can require you to work and yes, they can write you up for refusing. Neither Federal nor PA law limits the number of days in a row you can be required to work.

However, if you are non-exempt they are required to pay you overtime if you work more than 40 hours in a week, regardless of whether you are generally paid on a salaried basis or not.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.