This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay question for Pa

One of my co-workers, who is also my husband, put their two weeks notice in last week. Our employers one of whom is my brother-in-law hired a new girl, she has no experience in the field. She will be getting paid 75 cents more than I am (without benefits) and I have three years of experience on her.I started out three years ago at six an hour no benefits. I asked if we, my co-workers and I would be getting a raise and was told only if I drop my insurance to be covered by my husbands new employer. This seems very unfair and I was wondering if it was wrong of them to be doing this.

It is not illegal, if that's what you mean.

The law does not say that all employees have to be given the same pay or that if someone is hired at a different rate everyone else gets a raise. It only says that someone cannot be paid more, or less, BECAUSE OF their race, gender etc. Barring a bona fide contract that says otherwise, the ONLY time an employer is required to give you any kind of raise is if you are working at exactly minimum wage, and minimum is raised by either your state legislature or an act of Congress.

It may be unfair, and I don't agree with their saying a pay raise will be tied to dropping your insurance. But since they have no legal obligation to give you a pay raise to begin with, it's not illegal for them to do so.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X