This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation pay in Pa.

My boss has decided to start a new policy of docking my pay if I go over my allowed vacation days for the fiscal year. Not only will I lose one day of pay, I will be charged for two days for every extra day I take off. However, if I use extra sick days, they will be charged one for one. Of course, the whole staff is complaining that it isn't fair. But is it legal?

The only part of it that is illegal is charging you two days for one. He can legally dock your pay if you take time off for personal reasons and have no vacation left; and if you have a reasonable number of sick days available to you under company policy, you can be docked for missing work due to illness if you take time off for illness.

However, both state and Federal law say that you have to be paid for all the time you actually WORK. So if you miss one day, he can dock you one day, but he cannot dock you for two days. That would be not paying you for one day that you worked.

The docking is legal in and of itself, as long as it is one day for one day.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X