This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait & switch?

I was hired by an environmental services company in Pennsylvania 3 months ago as a driver. In the inital interview, I was told I would be paid $10 an hour for the first 30 days "to make sure you work out", and $12 per hour after that. 30 days came and went, and apparently I "worked out", but only received $11 an hour. I was told that the $12 didn't kick in until 90 days had passed (by the same person I interviewed with). While I grumbled about this, I liked the job so I decided to bite the bullet and wait out the 90 days. Well, 90 days has passed me by and guess what... no bump to $12. The person who basically scammed me (the interviewer) still works for the company, but in a "different capacity" whatever the hell that means. My current supervisor is telling me that they won't pony up the extra dollar. I don't really want to leave the job, because I do like it, but I'm also very upset about the lies. Unfortunately, I got none of this in writing. Do I have any legal recourse or am I screwed?
    Last edited by vortex19464; 07-11-2005, 05:15 PM.

It may be unfair, but unless you had a contract that guaranteed the increase it is not illegal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg
      It may be unfair, but unless you had a contract that guaranteed the increase it is not illegal.
      Isn't the verbal offer considered a contract?

Comment

You are free to discuss it with a local attorney if you choose, but it is very, very rare that such a conversation will reach the level of a contract. If the manager who made that promise was not authorized to do so, the company is not bound to honor it.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X