This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum hours per scheduled shift? Pennsylvania

My wife has a part-time job which gives her 7-12 hours per week (although she has been hard pressed to get even 7 lately).

She just received her schedule for this week and she was only scheduled one day - and only for half an hour on that day. I realize that there isn't anything legal saying that her employer has to give her hours, is there anything regarding minimum hours that would address her being scheduled for only a half an hour?

If you're looking for a minimum number of hours for which she must be paid, no, PA has no such reporting time requirement.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

And no state to my knowledge has a minimum shift, where you cannot be scheduled for less than x hours.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree with the other responders.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Speaking as a former business owner...I can attest to the need for bridge shifts such as this.

It is however my hope that it isn't the employers way of pushing her out.
          Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

The employee in question should file for UI and start looking for another job. Do not quit the current job (until the next job is landed), but if the employee is working that few hours, then there is plenty of time to look.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Hopefully she has enough income in the base period to qualify for UI.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agreed, no sure thing if you file for UI. HOWEVER, not filing is a sure thing (that you will not get it). Filing UI is one of those no cost things, as long as you tell the truth. It works, or it does not.

Past that, the only real cure to a bad employer is to find a good employer. Not easy in this economy, but again, if you do not look, you will NOT find one. If you do look, you MIGHT find one.
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
                X