This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mileage reimbursement

If my company reimburses mileage to attend a meeting 60 miles away at another location, is the company required to pay for ongoing daily trips to bank/etc. (10 miles round trip)? I reside in PA, I use my personal vehicle daily for work, and am a nonexempt employee. I have read that the only states where reimbursement for mileage is mandatory are CA and MA; however, can a company in PA pick and choose for which occasions they will pay mileage and to whom they will reimburse mileage? I am being paid for my time but not for the use of my personal vehicle.

Originally posted by frannell47 View Post
    If my company reimburses mileage to attend a meeting 60 miles away at another location, is the company required to pay for ongoing daily trips to bank/etc. (10 miles round trip)? I reside in PA, I use my personal vehicle daily for work, and am a nonexempt employee. I have read that the only states where reimbursement for mileage is mandatory are CA and MA; however, can a company in PA pick and choose for which occasions they will pay mileage and to whom they will reimburse mileage? I am being paid for my time but not for the use of my personal vehicle.
    Since Pa. does not require mileage reimbursement at all, they can choose when (which occasions) they will pay mileage for.

Are you saying some employees are reimbursed & others are not? This would not
    be illegal as long as there is no discrimination based on a reason prohibited by law (ie
    age, religion, gender...).

You don't have to be reimbursed/paid for the use of your personal vehicle.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

A company in all states except CA and MA can pick and choose for which occasions they will and will not pay mileage, and there's even some flexibility in MA. There's nothing in the law that says if they choose to pay mileage at all they must pay it for everything and/or for everyone. It's simply not required.

As Betty says, as long as they do not violate Title VII and related laws, it's entirely up to them.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

mileage reimbursement

Thanks for responding.

This sounds as though it can be considered discrimination. How do I know why a company is reimbursing mileage for one work-related trip versus another? Why do most companies, then, reimburse mileage for their employees when they really don't have to?
        Maybe companies have run into some legal issues when employees are using their personal vehicles for work-related tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by frannell47 View Post
          Thanks for responding.

This sounds as though it can be considered discrimination. How do I know why a company is reimbursing mileage for one work-related trip versus another? Why do most companies, then, reimburse mileage for their employees when they really don't have to?
          Maybe companies have run into some legal issues when employees are using their personal vehicles for work-related tasks?
          Have you asked about being reimbursed? Maybe it is as simple as it didn't cross their mind to reimburse you.

Comapnies frequently do more than the law requires because they want to attract the best candidates. Otherwise every company would only be paying minimum wage for all employees.

Comment

mileage reimbursement

I appreciate the information.

I have asked and have not received response yet. So, I will ask again if necessary.

I really wanted to have knowledge of the legal information regarding PA mileage so
            that I was aware of my rights.

Thanks so much.

Comment

Discrimination is legal unless a very specific law says it is not. Example, Jan and Dean are of different races. If I treat them differently because of their races, that is violating a law called Title VII. If however I treat them differently because Jan is a White Sox and Dean is a Cubs fan, that is 100% legal. There is no one-size-fits-all rule that all discrimination is illegal.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
              X