This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial unemployment Pennsylvania

I recently hired a new, part time employee for 24 hours per week. We had her sign a paper stating she knew she would only get 24 hours per week. She has been working around 30 hours per weeks since we hired her. Today, I got a notice that she has applied for partial unemployment? How can that be? Granted I don't know the system, but how can she apply for partial unemployment when I only hired her as part time?

Thanks, I just don't understand the system.

Scott

She probably can't, unless she already had an open claim, in which case your company would not be a base period employer and, as such, would not be charged for any benefits which might resume under the old claim.

Is she claiming YOU as the employer who has cut her hours?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I don't know what she is claiming. All's I got was a notice of application. She told me that by working 24 hours for me, she would be earning more than she did at her old job. She originally was going to work both jobs, her former one and for me, then after two weeks of work, she quit her other job and only works for me.

Thanks for the prompt reply, Patty.

Scott

Comment

Then merely respond with "Employee was hired for 24 hours per week only and employee was informed of same prior to hiring." At this point, I wouldn't go into the fact that she has been working more than that up until now. Let her bring it up with the state if that is going to be her claim. At that point, your argument will be that employee did work 30 hours for a few weeks due to demands of the business; however, that was not the agreement at time of hire.
        Last edited by Pattymd; 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I will do that, thank you!

Scott

Comment

You're welcome. Good luck.

BTW, one comment as to her entitlement attitude: If she makes more with you in 24 hours than she made at her old job in 40 hours, you think she'd be happy to get extra hours, even for a short period of time. Plus, it was HER decision to quit her full-time job, not yours.

Comment

Working...
            X