This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania

My question is how do I find out about exempt and non-exempt status. I am working for a company in PA for 2 years and nine months I was hired salary and got paid bi-weekly 15 and 30 or 31st, but I was paid hourly wages. Now they did an in company audit and decided to pay me salary and are basing my bi-weekly pays on an 87.6 hour work weeks. How do I find out if I'm an exempt or non exempt employee and what the #%$^&** does that mean????

You were being paid semi-monthly (and still are) if you were being paid on the 15th and the last day of the month. Are you paid current (15th check includes 1-15 of the month and end-of-month check included 16-EOM) or in arrears (pay period ends some time before the end of the pay period, such as the 5th or the 10th, for example, for the 15th paycheck)?

But something doesn't make any sense in your post. If you were hired on "salary", why were you paid "hourly wages"? And does that mean you were paid for actual hours worked?

Now, on to the 86.67 thing. 86.67 is the accepted "average work hours" in a semi-monthly pay period (2080 / 24 pay periods). However, whether you are salaried or hourly (which are merely pay methods), if you are nonexempt, you must be paid for all hours worked and, with limited exceptions, overtime if you work over 40 hours in a workweek.

Now, moving on to exempt and nonexempt. This is a function of job duties only. IF your job duties meet the criteria for exempt status, then you are not legally entitled to overtime pay and you must be paid at least $455/week salary (with limited exceptions for docking of pay for absences).

Here is a fact sheet with an overview of the different exempt classifications. If, after reading this, you have further questions about whether you meet the criteria for exempt status, please post back with exactly what your duties are.
    http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...a_overview.pdf
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I was receiving hourly pay for all time worked but since their in company audit I now receive a salaried pay with the exception of any hours over the base of 87.6 hours for the pay period. I am losing on the average of $400. every time I get paid because of their revision of hours worked. My job classification is logistic anaylst. Sorry for the confusion
      Last edited by mgutosky; 05-14-2010, 07:41 AM. Reason: more info needed

Comment

Did you read the link I provided?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes and thank you

Comment

Did that answer your question? Do you feel you meet the criteria for exempt status?

Comment

Working...
            X