This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligible for UC then not eligible? Should I appeal? Pennsylvania

I quit my job to relocate to a new town (2 hours away) where my girlfriend (of 3.5 years) finally found a job after graduating nursing school. I filed for unemployment just to see if I could get it since I relocated for my spouse. I was eligible for it and was told my ex-employer had til the 30th to appeal. I got the debt card Monday but today I got a letter saying I wasn't eligible for it.

"The claimant did not experience insurmountable economic circumstances that required them to relocate with spouse. As such the claimant did not have a necessitous and compelling reason for quitting and benefits must be denied under Section 402(b)"

I don't understand why I was eligible at first and then denied. The letter doesn't say my ex-employer appealed. The letter states I have til the 15th of December to appeal the decision. Is it worth it? Do I have a chance?

It never hurts to appeal. It just takes a little of your time.

However, they apparently felt moving only 2 hrs. away to follow a girl friend was not a compelling enough reason to quit. I don't think your chances are too good but I don't make the decision - you never know.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I think your chances are even worse than Betty3 thinks they are. A girlfriend is not yet a spouse.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

These days, when unemployment is up and unemployment staffers are down, almost everyone is initially approved since the various UI offices do not have the staff to complete the initial investigations in a timely fashion. Thus the initial approval followed by a decline.

Only a very small handful of states allow UI when an employee quits to follow a spouse who is relocating, let alone a girlfriend. So I think the chances of prevailing on appeal are pretty slim. But it can't hurt to appeal; I've seen some odd decisions in both directions in my time. The worst they can say is no.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The spouse thing is what was worrying me, but I'm a gay woman and it is not yet legal to get married in PA or she would be my spouse. I guess that still doesn't count though.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Anon1984 View Post
            The spouse thing is what was worrying me, but I'm a gay woman and it is not yet legal to get married in PA or she would be my spouse. I guess that still doesn't count though.

Thanks for all the replies.
            Nope, it doesn't. Not yet (and I'm now in PA and from what I've seen, I wouldn't count on it in the foreseeable future).
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Moving only two hours away would not be considered far even to follow a spouse. I don't know if you told the UI office spouse but you shouldn't have.
              Last edited by Betty3; 12-03-2009, 07:24 AM.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

True - I spent the better part of a year on a contract where I commuted two hours each way five days a week.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Wow, I bet that was fun but we all have to do what is necessary.

Comment

Working...
                  X