This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Leg, off duty, requirements to notify... Pennsylvania

Sustained a broken leg off duty. My employer is attempting to make me write a memo that states the who, what, where, when, and why it occurred. I do not have short term disability and will not be collecting any money from them, per say, however I will be forced to use all my sick and vacation time until I will no longer be getting paid anymore.

If it is not written policy, can my employer force me to explain all details on how the injury was sustained?

I do not want to put anything in writing that I do not have to in fear of somehow getting jammed up in the future by them (but let me add there is nothing about sustaining my injury that is shady or illegal).

So far the only memo that I submitted was the date it occured, and that I sustained a broken leg.

I have been getting mixed answers from union members.

• Morgana
    replied
    Well, I dont know what your CBA says about this (if anything).
    No you dont have to do what they ask, and no, they dont have to keep you employed there either.

Leave a comment:

• BrokenCops
    replied
    The memo that was submitted stated that on "X date", while off duty, I sustained a broken ankle/leg that will require surgery........ It also stated the orthopedic surgeons that will be taking care of me.

Some of my union members are telling me that I do not have to give a fully detailed "statement" as to how it happened...but I do need to inform them that it did occur in a general memo...which i did. Others are saying that I have to do what they say, which I know is not true, but I do not wanna get jammed up either way.

Leave a comment:

• Morgana
    replied
    Most likely this is CYA on the company's part to ensure you dont come back and claim its workers comp. That would be my guess.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    What does your union steward say? I imagine they're probably trying to cover their tail so that you can't come back some time in the future and claim it was a Work Comp injury.

Would including a statement that the injury occurred off duty satisfy them?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X