This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a law for required uniforms? Pennsylvania

I am a registered nurse at a 360 bed hospital. I work in the ER. Currently my employer's uniform policy is quite vague, allowing us to wear just about any color and print of scrubs. We must pay for, provide and launder/maintain them ourselves. This policy has been in effect for several years. My employer is now trying to change the policy to require us to wear one solid color, no prints, and they are going to dictate the color - it will not be all white and could possibly be all black. Black is the suggested color by management

Are there any laws for PA that require an employer to provide a uniform allowance if they change the uniform policy? Are there any laws for PA that regulate uniforms at all? If my employer is dictating what color I have to wear and they may even dicate the brand that we purchase, are they required to give us a certain amount of time for the change over? I work 5 days/wk, sometimes more. I will need to obtain at least 5 sets of scrubs all at once for this change. I my employer required to give us a one time monetary allowance for us to purchase our initial sets? It is a huge monetary factor for myself and many others. Are there any laws that I can site for my employer?
    Last edited by lorirn74; 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM.

I would NOT want to be a patient at a hospital where everyone working there wore black. Looks like they're in premature mourning and I would wonder if it was me that they were prematurely mourning for. Yuck. Give me the cute colorful scrubs with animal prints anyday.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

To answer your legal questions, no to all of them.
      Federal guidelines would apply.
      http://www.osha.gov/pls/epub/wageind...211/wh1428.pdf

I agree, though, black? In a hospital?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

At least it's very slimming

Comment

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
          At least it's very slimming
          There is that. LOL
          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

oooh, we got them to change!!!

My employer, after many complaints, has to decided to change the color to navy blue. No prints, no variation in shades of blue, all plain navy top and pants. I want to wear my prints. So many of our patients compliment us on our "pretty" tops. My employer is trying to obtain "magnet like status" as a hospital. They say that us wearing all one color portrays a more professional image. I say, "what about diversity and individuality?", "what about being able to express our personalities?" I guess none of that matters. An employer, without a union, can tell us to do whatever they chose, especially in a "employment at will" state like Pennsylvania - they can fire me simply because the don't like my eye color. Thank you for your comments. BTW...navy is also slimming

Comment

Working...
            X