This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time cards and pay question

I work as a driver for a public school district in PA. We punch time cards for both morning and afternoon shifts. In the morning we must punch in by 6:45 and work until 9:00. The afternoon hours are 1:45 until 4:00.
    The problem is that some of us do not get back before 9 or 4 and are punching out a few minutes after those hours. This happens most days but we are not being compensated for the additional time. Although not a huge amount of money it would add up over a school year.
    When we questioned this, we were told that they don't have to pay us for any additional time under five minutes after a regular work day but yet if we punch in one minute late, we are docked for fifteen minutes. How is this legal?
    What are our options?

Thank you for your time.

It isn't. Rounding to the nearest 15-minute interval is allowed. So, if you clock out at 5 minutes after, they may back that up, for pay purposes, to the even hour. However, if you clock in 5 minutes late, they cannot delay that pay for 15 minutes after.

Are you covered by a union contract? If so, that would be the place to start.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

We are not covered by a union contract.

Can you point me to a direct link to a law showing this? I looked but couldn't find anything.

Thank you again

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.48.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you Patty!

Comment

Working...
          X