This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours paid for hours worked. Pennsylvania

I am a Paramedic that recently moved to PA from Alabama. Down south I worked 24 hour shifts and I was paid the entire time I was on duty regardless of call volume. The ambulance service I work for in PA only pays 22 hours out of 24, even though I am clocked in the entire time and expected to respond to Emergencies during the entire 24 hours. Is it legal to only pay for 22 hours even though there are times when I am awake the entire shift not only responding to calls but doing paperwork and other duties around the base?

Originally posted by pmedic242000 View Post
    I am a Paramedic that recently moved to PA from Alabama. Down south I worked 24 hour shifts and I was paid the entire time I was on duty regardless of call volume. The ambulance service I work for in PA only pays 22 hours out of 24, even though I am clocked in the entire time and expected to respond to Emergencies during the entire 24 hours. Is it legal to only pay for 22 hours even though there are times when I am awake the entire shift not only responding to calls but doing paperwork and other duties around the base?
    I am not sure of the laws here, but I must ask, what does your contract say, or do you have one? You could always call the states Department of Labor, and ask if this is legal.

Comment

Where are you during the other two hours?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Maybe they consider eating time, or bathroom breaks, or rest time inbetween calls? I could not even come close to answering this, but just some thoughts. Wouldn't it even out, when you might get one call, in a 12 hour period, and have all that down time (not including checking your gear etc)?

Comment

And, are you allowed to sleep?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X