This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driving company vehicle Pennsylvania

I do service work with a company van and I take it home. I am required to give 45 min in the morning and 45 min in the evening , without pay.

The company charges the customer a travel charge on my first call in the morning.

The office is located in the opposite direction that I normally travel so I am saving the company money on wages and mileage.

What do you mean by "give 45 minutes"? Do you mean they are not paying you when you go from your home to your first customer site of the day and from your last customer site of the day to home? They don't need to; the fact that you are driving a company vehicle is irrelevant.
    See the last sentence here:
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.38.htm

I would note that this is true even if the travel time is more than you would spend if you left from/returned to the company premises instead of your home.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I do not understand what is the difference if I leave from home or from the shop. My company charges the customer for the travel so why don't I deserve to be paid also.

Comment

The difference is in the law. Whether you "deserve" to be paid or not because the company is charging the customer is not the issue. The issue is what the law requires that you be paid.

Now, I repeat, what does "giving 45 minutes" mean?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

By give I mean working for free. What does the law have to do with where I start the day? I work out of a service van, The link you refer to is from 60+years ago. I doubt if they did work like this then. I repair equipment on site, parts are sent to my home or direct to the customers site

Comment

Originally posted by jdxr View Post
            The link you refer to is from 60+years ago.
            That's true, but it is also law. If she cited the US Constitution, which is over 200 years old, would that make her comments invalid?
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I think I'm done here.

Comment

Working...
              X