This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bereavement Pennsylvania

Not sure if this falls under labor laws or not, I would assume so. But does anyone know if, by law, an employer has to pay for a bereavement day if someone's parent dies?

In no state is an employer required by law to provide bereavement time regardless of the family member. It is 100% up to the employer whether or not to provide bereavement time, if so whether or not it will be paid, and if so which family members it will approve such time for.

Although most employers will provide anywhere from 2-5 days on the death of a family member, it is not required by law anywhere in the US.

I assume you would not be asking such a question unless you had need of such time. Assuming I am correct, I'm sorry for your loss.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank You

After posting that, I looked through and found similar threads. Sorry to make someone have to repeat something all ready answered. Yes, my father passed away this past week and I found out that my place of employment does not offer ANY sort of bereavement time. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. Can you use vacation time? Better than no pay at all.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X