This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Breaks Pennsylvania

The way I understand breaks in the state of PA, employers do not have to give any kind of a break regardless of how many hours the employee works (with the exception of child labor laws). Where I work we are not considering doing this, but I got caught up in a debate on the subject. I was told there were Federal laws concerning breaks that override state law. Is this true and if so, where can I find information on it.

Thanks

It is not true. Federal law does not require any kind of breaks for the adult employees of private employers. And if it did, which it doesn't, it would not necessarily "override" state law.

Since PA does not require breaks either for the adult employees of private employers, the employer is free to offer breaks or not. If they do offer them, they may make them mandatory or optional, as they choose. It is entirely the opt of the employer, not the employee, how breaks are handled.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X