This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHOLESALE CUSTOMER HARRASSMENT Pennsylvania

I have a customer who is beligerant, rude, and hostile to me at work, my two co-workers both have seen and heard this harrassment first hand.
    I hoped the incident would cease, if I ignored the rude behavior (as this sometimes works with children). This did not happen.
    The behavior is still constant EVERY time I speak with or wait on this customer when he is in the store. He has been warned about his behavior before.
    I want to know what my rights are, and how long I have to deal with this kind of behavior before I tell off this customer and loose my job??

Help!!!!
    Jenn
    Last edited by PIZZEDOFFINPA; 11-28-2006, 10:27 AM.

You can report the behavior to your employer. But if you're looking for a law that gives you the right to blow back at the customer while guaranteeing that you keep your job, there isn't one. (Wouldn't it be nice if there were? )
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by PIZZEDOFFINPA View Post
      how long I have to deal with this kind of behavior before I tell off this customer and loose my job??
      Well, don't do that!

Unfortunately, businesses are really tough on employees and very forgiving of customers. After all, the customers pay the bills.

If the customer in question is harassing you because you are in some protected class, you might have a case, but, if the customer just does not like you and, maybe, enjoys "yanking your chain," you have no case and have a choice of putting up with it or quitting or complaining to management.

Don't expect management to be very sympathetic.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I'm trying actually to find out if there is a law that can keep this a$$hole from harrassing me while I'm working to feed my children.
        Because if there isn't I have to let nature take it's course.

Comment

Originally posted by PIZZEDOFFINPA View Post
          I'm trying actually to find out if there is a law that can keep this a$$hole from harrassing me while I'm working to feed my children.
          Because if there isn't I have to let nature take it's course.
          Like I said above, unless you are being harassed BECAUSE you are in a protected class (such as your religion), you have no case and if the company won't protect you, you can only move on.
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Thank you - I only have the option then to collect my things and wait for him to "yank my chain" yet again, and I will tell him what I think and walk away.
            I would rather not have this job if it means for me to have to put up with beligerant behavior from an adult, like this.

Comment

Have you made management aware of the situation?

Why can you not simply ask and/or direct him to leave the premises?

Comment

Rude Customer

Why not just excuse yourself and have another co-worker wait on this person.

Comment

Working...
                X