This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child labor laws Pennsylvania

I have another posting on the custody sight. But I thought this might be a better forum. Is there any issue with taking your children to your part time job of cleaning an office and having them help? The children are 7 and 9 and are cleaning a public & private restroom in the office, windows, vacuuming floors, mopping, cleaning desks, emptying trash..etc.

Whether this is acceptable is entirely up to the employer.

I would personally not allow anything except possibly the emptying of wastebaskets, however, for liability reasons. I'm not altogther sure I'd allow the children to be there at all.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The employer does not know the children are there. They are in the custody of their mother at the time. It is the office where she works, and they pay her cash on the weekends to clean the office.

Comment

I would STRONGLY advise that the employee make the employer aware of it and get his permission. Since it's HIS insurance that will have to pay if something happens, he has the right to know. She could be fired for bringing the kids there without permission.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I have had janitorial temps injured cleaning out trash cans and the risk of a serious infection is high. We train them to watch for the hazards and not to put their hands in the trash cans, but it happens.

I would not risk my children by allowing them to do that.

As an employer, I would prohibit you from letting your children do work at the job site, even if I would be inclined to let you bring them there (not bloody likely).
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

this is just another page in my documentation for the Judge. I do'nt feel that those girls should be in that situation. If she wants to earn extra money fine, but the children should not have to be there working for her.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Whether it is a good idea or not is a judgement call. However, the law does not prohibit the parent from bringing the kids to work with her, and children may legally work for their parents without compensation. It may be an example of poor parenting to have the kids help clean, but it isn't a legal violation.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
              X