This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandatory overtime? Pennsylvania

my employer is telling me that i have to work overtime. when i told him that i had plans and didn't know that i have to answer for my saturdays he in turn told me that he doesnt need an answer to fire someone. is it legal to make someone work overtime in the state of pa,and if they don't can they be terminated.

It sure is and "yes" you can be terminated. Employment is considered "at will"; which means that an employer does not need "cause" in order to terminate an employee. The exceptions are if you are covered by a bonafide employment contract or CBA (union). Under these circumstances, the conditions of those agreements would apply.

The fact that you have plans does not matter with respect to what is legal or not. I'm sorry!

Comment

It is legal in all 50 states to require an employee to work overtime, and it is legal in all 50 states to fire them if they refuse, regardless of what plans they may have had.

ONLY if there is a binding contract, union or otherwise, that gives the employee the unquestioned right to decline overtime or has a specific protocol for requiring it, does that change.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X