This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personnel Files Pennsylvania

Is it possible to obtain a copy of your personnel files from a previous employer, and if so, how does one go about it? Thanks in advance for any information.

In PA you have a right to view your personnel file. Not all documents have to be shared; however you do have rights to view items such as performance reviews, discipline notices, promotions, terminations, etc. Your employer is not required to share such items as investigation notes, reference letters, medical records, etc. In order to view your personnel file, you must first request and make arrangements with the employer. I have never seen anything that requires the employer to make a copy and send to employee on demand. My point is that your right to view may have to take form of an in-person meeting.

Comment

Not only does the employer not have to make a copy and send it to you, PA law specifically states that the employer is not obligated to allow a copy of the file.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Does this also apply to an EX-employer? Most of the state laws I'm aware of address only current employees.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I seem to recall from when we had an office in PA that former employees still had that right. But that may be because our corporate headquarters was in MA and MA specifically grants the right to former employees.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X