This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania non profit org overtime

Hi...I work for a non profit org, the SPCA to be exact, and I was wondering if I can be made to work mandatory overtime? I question this b/c A) its a non profit org. B) we have the same scheduled days off each week, meaning most work Mon thru Fri with weekends off or 2 other days...can they be made to come in on their days off? Our staff is only 4 people who work in the kennels etc. We are burned out and tired of this crap. Also can the company make you use a personal day, meaning pay you and take one of your personal days away if you take the day off without wanting pay? One final question, we write our times on a time sheet but if we come in at 7:45am and work starts at 8am we can only put 8am as our start time and if we work til say 5:23 pm and the work shift is over at 5pm we aren't allowed to write in 5:23pm. Is this legal or am I be cheated? Shouldn't we be paid for the time we our working if we are hourly employees? HELP please.

Any employer can make overtime "mandatory" in your state (and nearly every other state, with a few limited exceptions). The fact that your employer is non-profit is irrelevant.

The law does not require paid time off benefits at all, so the employer can set the policies about how it is used. Many employers do not allow for unpaid time off if you have paid time off available and, frankly, that's a good business decision.

You must be paid for all time worked. Having said that, if you sign in at 7:45, put your coat away, get your coffee, chit-chat with your friends, and then start working at 8 a.m., you do not need to be paid from 7:45 to 8:00. The employer can, however, round your in/out time to the nearest 15-minute interval, as long as they do it consistently, no matter to whose advantage the rounding accrues. The employer can also, though, discipline you for working unapproved time. You should keep a separate record of your time. You can file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor for unpaid hours worked.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Overtime mandatory ?

Hi...I just wanted to try and clarify another matter regarding overtime being mandatory. In our employee handbook, it states that you are either an exempt employee or non exempt employee. It then states that non exempt employees are not required to work overtime but may be asked to voluntarily work overtime and exempt employees can be asked to work overtime and it is mandatory. Also non exempt employees must be paid time and a half for all overtime worked and exempt employees do not have to be paid time and a half but may be paid it accordingly to other guidelines. I get time and a half for all overtime and I'm figuring that I'm a non exempt employee so therefore based on the handbook I would not be required to work overtime. If this is the case, then mandatory overtime can not be mandatory. Please correct me on this matter if ness. and what exactly then would be exempt or non exempt employees? It sounds more like the work place screwing with words to use to THEIR advantage. Thanks so much

Comment

An employee handbook does not constitute a legally binding contract, unless it is unbelieveably well written. As a matter of fact, it probably contains language that says it isn't a contract and that policies can be changed at any time at management's discretion. (And if it doesn't, it should).

Are you being disciplined for refusing to work overtime?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

overtime continued

Hi Patty...no I'm not being disciplined for not working overtime but threatened to some degree in the tone....never asked just told...but there are only 4 of us working in a place with the animals weekdays....that has 50+ dogs and many cats....alot of the cats feral...and we are not vaccinated against rabies etc....they won't pay for it...the organization is funded by the public and we get slightly above min. wage while the CEO is making approx. $100,000 a year that is reported....there are no incentives etc....we are there for the animals but its also a job and how we pay the bills etc....I do believe there is some sort of corruption going on but do not know how to handle it....

Comment

There may or may not be, but I applaud your effort. I'm an animal lover myself, and have adopted every cat I've ever had from a shelter, or taken in as a stray. On the other hand, $100K is not unusual for a CEO, even of a nonprofit organization. And I don't mean to belittle your work, because it's important, but you are doing manual labor.

Perhaps it's time to look for another paid position, and maybe volunteer at the shelter. I would do the same, but I'd want to take 'em all home when I leave.

Comment

Working...
            X