This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion Interview Pennsylvania

My Supervisor suggested I apply for a promotion for an open position. I made sure I followed all the proper channels, even followed up with a second interest letter. I received a response from the hiring manager stating that he would be in touch as the interview process progresses. I found out recently the position was filled, and I was not even contacted once about an interview. Is this legal in PA?

Short of a union contract guaranteeing your right to be interviewed, it's legal. I'm not saying it's good management practice, because it isn't. But there is no law that requires the employer to interview you for another position, even if you did follow all the internal procedures. Have you asked HR why you were not interviewed?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I have not as of yet. I'm concerned that if I do, my chances of being promoted at a later time would be affected (of course that would not be the reason given). But then on the other hand I am not sure I would want to work directly under that management style anyway. I guess I am just not sure what to do at this point. Thank you for the information.

Comment

Or, you could perhaps couch it this way, if you want to pursue it. "I applied for XX position with encouragement from my present supervisor and I wasn't chosen for a interview. I wonder if you could tell me what I need to do to improve my chances for being interviewed for the next available promotion."
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If you politely ask HR why you weren't interviewed, that should not be a problem at all. In fact if you handle this very professionally, I can tell you that they will be favorably impressed and that may even give you an edge-up the next time you apply for something internally.

It's the candidates who go storming into HR in an angry frenzy who shoot themselves in the foot.

Comment

Since this was a Corporate position, going to my store HR Manager wouldn't apply. Do you think I should I contact the Regional HR Manager, and do you think by telephone or by email since "in person" really isn't possible. Oh and do you think I should ask my Supervisor first, or just let him know that I am contacting HR? I plan to be very professional about the whole concern because I think the fact that the DVP did not act in a professional manner is what irritates me the most. Thanks everyone!

Comment

You might want to ask your store HR Manager for some guidance but my suggestion would be to email the Regional HR Manager and tell him/her that you recently applied for the ABC position but wasn't interviewed and you'd very much like to schedule a time when the two of you can speak on the phone to discuss your career interests and what experience, education, etc. you may need to be better prepared for other opportunities within the organization.

If you put things in this context, it's a far more positive approach and more likely to result in your getting some solid feedback and coaching that hopefully will serve you well the next time around.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks so much to all of you. Monday morning I am sending a polite, professional email to the Regional HR Manager using the great advice given here.

Comment

Working...
                X