This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Differential Pay in PA Pennsylvania Pennsylvania

I recently started working the 12:30 to 9 pm shift with my company and they pay a 6% Shift differential for working this shift. But I noticed when I received my Holiday pay for the Memorial Day week I was not paid my shift differential for the holiday. My Manager said he was unaware that they would not pay for the shift differential for holiday or vacation time, but other employees told me they have never been paid the shift differential for those times. Can my employer do this? Since the 12:30-9 is my regular shift I feel I should be paid the 6% shift differential pay for holidays and vacation time. Otherwise I feel I am being penialized for when the company is closed due to a holiday or when I take vacation time given to me by my company. Are there any laws on this? I searched but could not find anything beyond the minimum wage law.

You are not entitled by law to a shift differential at all; you are certainly not entitled to one for time you did not even work. It is perfectly legal for your employer to only pay you a shift differential for time you actually worked. And no, there are no laws addressing this; it is entirely up to the employer whether to offer a shift differential and if so, for what hours they will offer it.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X